Find yourself in a state of constantly overspending when out with friends? Here are some tips to stop overspending with friends:
- Create a budget—Be as specific as possible. Set aside the exact amount you will allow yourself to spend on certain activities (ie: dining, travel, etc.)
- Remember the big picture—Keep in mind the reason you want to stop overspending in the first place... It may be to save up for a new car, a future home, a dream vacation or even just to be free from debt altogether. If you continuously remind yourself of your financial goals, overspending with friends may be less likely to happen. Try our Simple Savings Goal Calculator to help determine how to reach your savings goals.
- Be open with your friends—The best thing to do if you are trying to not spend as much money while hanging out with friends, is to be open with them... An open, honest conversation can show your friends that you are not trying to ditch them; you are just trying to be financially responsible. Being the first to start the "money conversation" could potentially encourage some of your friends who feel the same way to join you in your efforts to spend less while hanging out with friends.
- Look for less expensive options—There are many ways to still hang out with your friends and not spend as much money... Try looking for less expensive options when you and your friends get together. You could choose a less expensive meal on the menu, skip the snacks at the movies, go for a hike, rent a movie instead of going to the movie theater, and look for coupons for buy-one-get-one meals that you can split with a friend.
- Surround yourself with like-minded individuals—One way to not overspend as much is to spend more time with like-minded individuals... If your friends are also being money-conscious then it will make it easier for you to stay on the straight and narrow, as well.